Monday, January 13, 2014

31DC2013, Day 22: Inspired by a song

I had surprizingly many ideas for the next topic of the 31 Day Challenge. But it had to be something I could actually pull off ;). There is this really cool technique for Distressed/Grunge-Nails I wanted to try out for ages. So here I go!

Who can inspire a Grunge manicure better than Nirvana, the Godfathers of Grunge?!?


"Come as you are" is from the 90ies (1992 to be precise), but unlike some electro experiments from the same time (*shudder*) it still sounds really cool, I think. I was humming the song all the time I did my nails and the next day as well! :D

Come as you are,
As you were
As I wish you to be.
As a friend
As a friend
As an old enemy...

Yeah!!! :)
Gunge Nails is something anyone can do. Really! Check out this awesome tutorial at Sarah's Chalkboardnails and try it out! I used acrylic paint for the letters.



For beginners out there: I didn't trust my shaky hands and painted the letters on a smooth plastic bag. After the paint was dry, I covered it with clear top coat, waited a bit and then used tweezers to pull this self-made decal from the plastic and place it over my freshly painted nail. It's cheating, but who cares if it looks good, right? ;)


Base color: one coat of white Cult Nails Tempest
Grunge effect:  neon pink China Glaze Pool Party, marker-yellow China Glaze Sun-Kissed, bright blue Shopping Day at Bluemingdales by Catrice and black Cult Nails Fetish
Accent Nail:  Cult Nails Fetish and white acrylic paint
Matte Top Coat: Cult Nails Wax That...


Familyyy-yyy-yah!
Familyyy-yyy-yah!
(still humming ;))